Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th December 2008, 17:47
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDorey View Post
Peter,

How do you get on with the yellow bushes?
Did they fit okay?

I've also knadgered my old bushes, changing to the new wishbones.

I wonder what colour the Polyrace ones are?
Yes, they seem to fit and work just fine. I've only got them fiited to the lower wishbones and I don't know if the Polyraces are yellow.

Peter
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:25
Enthusiast

Following on from our previous discussion about poly type bushes, I came across this information today....

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index....shbone-bushes/

I'm sure the poly bush suppliers might not agree with his conclusions, but nonetheless some interesting observations and food for thought.

I've currently got my nearside suspension in pieces for a clean up and fitting new ball joints. I wasn't planning on taking the lower wishbone off but after reading this article I might take it off and see how the Rally design bushes are doing after about 2.5k miles.
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:09

atlantasportster is on a distinguished road

Thanks Peter, very informative article.
I wondered why the mechanics, with cars on the lift, used a transmission jack to push the wishbones up to ride height before snugging the bolts.
Now I know.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:31
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Following on from our previous discussion about poly type bushes, I came across this information today....

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index....shbone-bushes/

I'm sure the poly bush suppliers might not agree with his conclusions, but nonetheless some interesting observations and food for thought.

I've currently got my nearside suspension in pieces for a clean up and fitting new ball joints. I wasn't planning on taking the lower wishbone off but after reading this article I might take it off and see how the Rally design bushes are doing after about 2.5k miles.
I have to confess I wondered about the effectiveness of the Poly type bushes. I only have them at the top and that was only because I couldn't track down any more of the Ford bushes that were originaly used. It will be interesting to see what you find.

BTW - while I was playing with my car and fitting the new servo I checked all my Metro balljoints. All mine look fine. So I suspect the longeveity depends on getting a well known make. I think mine were all QH.

Cheers

Robin
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:24

morris is on a distinguished road

It's quite hard to find definitive instructions on how poly bushes should be fitted too. common sense dictates that the crush tube should be the only part bearing on the bracket but that always leaves me wondering it the poly could then work its way out of the wishbone. This is especially a concern on the sportster front top wishbones where the bracket is essential one sided. I originally fitted washers here that only touched the crush tube and then changed my mind and put big ones on to cover the poly too. Now I'm wondering again.

If you look at the outer surface of the powerflex bushes they have little channels molded in in 3 places. I'd come to the conclusion that this was to collect any debris as the entire bush moves in the wishbone eye rather than the crush tube inside the rigidly held bush.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:15
Enthusiast

I unbolted my nearside lower wishbone this afternoon. With the wishbone disconnected from the damper but still bolted to the chassis, everything seemed fine albeit a bit creaky.
I then took the wishbone off and dismantled the bushes. With the bushes out of the wishbone tubes, the crush tubes are now loose meaning the bushes have either shrunk or worn? These are the Rally Design Yellow (soft) ones. I think they have either worn or are too soft for the lower wishbones.

Not sure what to do next...new Superflex quality bushes, back to the rubber ones or just stick them back on and not worry about it?
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:55
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post

If you look at the outer surface of the powerflex bushes they have little channels molded in in 3 places. I'd come to the conclusion that this was to collect any debris as the entire bush moves in the wishbone eye rather than the crush tube inside the rigidly held bush.
According to the Superpro website.....

BULLET GROOVES AND VOIDING
Bullet grooves are incorporated in the design of SuperPro bushes to allow for variances in control arm or spring eyes.
The voiding and bullet grooves also allow for the transgression of displaced polyurethane into the volume of the grooves as load is applied during normal vehicle operation. Even though polyurethane is in a solid form when it is manufactured into bushes, its unique properties enable it flow in a manner similar to a liquid when loaded. The action of the bush flowing into its voids prevents the generation of harshness and NVH within the bush and its mount.

Old 23rd February 2012, 07:47
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not sure what to do next...new Superflex quality bushes, back to the rubber ones or just stick them back on and not worry about it?
I think the rubber ones are best - if you can locate any....

Just checked. Loads on e-bay ATM. I think I might get some spares myself....

Robin
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I think the rubber ones are best - if you can locate any....

Just checked. Loads on e-bay ATM. I think I might get some spares myself....

Robin
Thanks, Robin. I think I'm coming to the same conclusion for the lower wishbones.

Firstline list them (FSK 5969, I think) so shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:18
Enthusiast

I just bought some from ebay. 220947427744. He has loads.

The picture of the bag is exactly the same as the ones supplied by Marlin - I remember the yellow label. (Strange really, as sometimes I forget what day it is but I can remember a yellow label from 5 years ago haha....)

Cheers

Robin
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:51
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Good find - just got some myself for the rebuild
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:15
Enthusiast

So it's out with the vaseline and WD40 again ;-)
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:00
Enthusiast

Ooh, Matron!
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:44
Enthusiast

Ooh, er we've started a new rubber (bushes) fetish!

I popped in my local motor factors (Car Parts Direct) this afternoon and picked up two new ones at £1.99 each (plus Vat) so only £9.55 for four, all in. The other two will be in tomorrow afternoon.

They are made by Pearl High tech parts (who I have never heard off!) and are part number PB17. They seem to be very hard runbber so getting them in looks like fun
Old 17th March 2012, 16:50
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I just bought some from ebay. 220947427744. He has loads.

The picture of the bag is exactly the same as the ones supplied by Marlin - I remember the yellow label. (Strange really, as sometimes I forget what day it is but I can remember a yellow label from 5 years ago haha....)

Cheers

Robin
Robin - double check your bushes. I ordered some new ones from the same chap, from the same eBay listing, and they don't fit. John (Oaktree) ordered some as well, and his are the same as mine. The inner tube of the bush is approx. 2mm larger in diameter than the old bushes.
Old 18th March 2012, 17:02
Enthusiast

Hmm - that's odd. I will check mine. Sat in the cupboard of spare bits at the moment.

Robin
Old 19th March 2012, 13:49
Enthusiast

Robin (and anyone else who may have purchased these bushes from the same eBay listing),

John and I have been in contact with the Graham the seller, and are sending our bushes back. On closer inspection of my consignment, there are two different types - one with the correct rounded end profile and 10mm tube in the middle, and one with the beveled profiles and larger 12mm tube:

http://greatoldone.squarespace.com/s...es/bushes1.jpg
http://greatoldone.squarespace.com/s...es/bushes2.jpg

This lead me to believe that Graham's supplier has sent him two distinct types under the same part number.

Graham has now checked this (He's opened up 10 packets so far, and they're all a mixture of the two) so it looks as if this is the case. He's replacing mine and John's order with the correct ones.

So - check your bushes. If they have a round profile, like the one in the left of the pics above, you should be ok. But just to be safe, get your callipers out and measure the inner tube diameter.

Cheers

GOO
Old 19th March 2012, 19:08
Enthusiast

TBH, the ones on the left of your pictures don't look right to me either. (They have bulging sides?)
And it may be the photo but the quality of the rubber on the left one looks somewhat suspect.

I'll take some pictures of mine later as I've only got around to refitting one side....
Old 19th March 2012, 19:35
Enthusiast

Quote:

I'll take some pictures of mine later as I've only got around to refitting one side....
OK, here's a couple of pics.....

An original Ford part which was supplied by Marlin (Easter 2004, gulp!) is shown on the left and the recently purchased Pearl PB17 bush on the right.

Suspension bushes by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Suspension bushes by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Old 19th March 2012, 22:36

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

I Googled the part no on the bush 81-AB-3063-BB and found the following pdf file:

http://www.bydotomotiv.com.tr/pdf/su...pansiyon_5.pdf

Scroll down to page 7 and it shows this part number as for Sierra Scorpio. Peter