Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 29th March 2009, 20:59

tony rs2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Build CD/ manual needed

HI all:
I am new to this forum, I have just bought an unfinished kit comprising Modules 1 and 2, but the guy had no build manual/ CD. Where can I get one from?
Also I need the front and rear shocks and springs, suspension bushes and ball joints, do these need to come from Marlin or can i get them from my local motor factors, if yes does anyone know what car they are from?
i will also need module 3 sooner or later, any one got this lying around going cheap?

Thanks in advance
TONY
Available from eBay
Old 30th March 2009, 05:09
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony.

Welcome to the forum.

Were you the one that bought this from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marlin-5exi-ki...1%7C240%3A1318

Also if you put your location in your profile, you may have someone local to help.

Here is the locations you cars at the moment that we know about.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...mid=1238389087

Your best bet is to get your bits from Marlin. There was a couple of revisions of chassis and suspension (wishbones and hubs). So you will need to let them know which ones you have. Or post a picture on here of them.

As far as build CD, again from Marlin should be able to provide you with one. Or your local 5EXI "Friend" . There is also the Complete kit car mag build cd you can buy.

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/ckcshop.html

With module 3, you get the windscreen. Rather than getting the standard one from Marlin, the price of a heated one is cheap enough now. You will probably need to get the body etc from Marlin. A choice of doors as well.

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acat...ndscreens.html

Also, while your at this stage, weld in the rear frame which holds the exhaust. If it's a bolt on type.

Which engine choice are you going for? If your going to the T series turbo, I might be able to help you out if your looking for bits.
Old 30th March 2009, 07:29

tony rs2000 is on a distinguished road

Hi Limpabit:
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it was me than purchased the ebay item, I am in Andover SP10.
I hope someone may be near enough to me to help if I need it.

This is the first kit car I have built from the start, I did once re body a caterham Sei some years ago.

I am a vehicle tecnicician by trade so i hope the 5exi wont be too much of a challenge.

I will stick with the 1.8 VVC for the moment, I am not after raw power just a useable amount for the odd days i am sure it will get used for, i also have a 20 year old son whom I would like to insure to drive it also.

Does anyone know how the IVA test is likely to affect my completion for registration?

I will call Marlin today to get some prices for the pieces I am missing.

Thakns once again and I must say what a great forum this is.

TONY
Old 30th March 2009, 10:00
Enthusiast

If I was you, I would get in touch with Mr Dry (Alackofspeed Honda Type R) and Steve (SMDC001 1.6 K) Go for a ride before you start.

Phone up the insurance companies for quotes. Now's the time to decide which engine. There's a big difference between the K series (even in 143 BHP form) and other in terms of performance. Apparently and big jump even between the 143 & 160 in terms of drivability.

Get it right now before you start.

As far as IVA. The fuel filler needs to be looked at. Unless the Rover one you have is lockable with the same keys as ignition one. Or secured on.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:15
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Tony

You need to spend a quiet evening running through this forum, there are lots of good advice and tips from the build community.

I have sent you a PM with some pointers.

What do you intend to use the car for, by the way, your choice will dictate the mods you may need to make.

The DVLA have an online document to help with the IVA, read it from cover to cover as you build its easier than changing it later. Cross braking and the steering lock/fuel cap are two instant changed I found, head rests are one I have been warned about but not found.

eaa53
Old 30th March 2009, 16:39
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

I'm nr Wimborne, so not far if you want to come down here and nose around my car.

I didn't find the build CD to be of any real benefit. I can only remember looking at it twice.

I'm booked on an airfield day at Colerne on the 18th April, and assuming my car holds together, you're welcome to a passenger ride.
Old 31st March 2009, 17:15
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Hi welcome Tony.

I've been taking loads of photos now in the thousands of my build which I'm doing, if you PM me your address I'll bung a DVD of the photos in the post to you. Some will be different to your build as its a slightly different rear chassis to your one, but some may help fill in some of the gaps. As everyone says though just ask the people on here if you have a question normally people will have advice from their experience.

Re IVA, I'm also going to be building for that if you still have the original rover fuel cap you will be ok as you use the same keys, after some adjustments thats the approach I'm using. The brakes should be ok as they were already split front and rear. I beleive seat mounts have changed re spreader plate rules etc, but they are the only things I have found so far, if I find any others I'll let you know.

Cheers

David.
Old 31st March 2009, 17:51
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

interestingly the latest revision of the IVA manual 27/3/09 removes the need for the key to be the same as the ignition key and just requires that the key cannot be removed whilst the cap is off the vehicle.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:20
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
interestingly the latest revision of the IVA manual 27/3/09 removes the need for the key to be the same as the ignition key and just requires that the key cannot be removed whilst the cap is off the vehicle.
Now that's better and makes more sense. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 21st July 2009, 17:46

5exiAdam is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I now own Tonys bag of bits!

Help!!!!
Old 21st July 2009, 20:50
Enthusiast

Welcome Adam.