Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 22nd June 2014, 18:26

blueface is on a distinguished road

It's certainly a possibility. Need to track down some dimensions for it to see (or take a sneaky measurement of one when I see one!)

Cobra ones did look the part on the show car at stoneleigh though.

Last edited by blueface; 22nd June 2014 at 18:38..
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:35

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueface View Post
It's certainly a possibility. Need to track down some dimensions for it to see (or take a sneaky measurement of one when I see one!)

Cobra ones did look the part on the show can at stoneleigh though.
I have some in the workshop, I will take some pics against a Kobra
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:38

Oooooo. .... Excellent. That would be great. Appreciate that.
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:47

Andyboy Cambridge is on a distinguished road

Hi guys (new to all this) 😳
I was wondering what you guys thought would make a good base car? The z3 as you probably know offers a range of leather interiors ie red black brown etc I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping to keep changes on the inside to a minimum and certain colours may go well with certain colour schemes ..... Any thoughts? Also the main bulk of cars in my price range are 1.9L you guys think this would still have enough kick to be enjoyable and could I get it to sound the part on a low budget?? Any info would be great thanks 😃
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:50

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Andy - Try this guide that WCA posted...

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=4958
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyboy Cambridge View Post
Hi guys (new to all this) ��
I was wondering what you guys thought would make a good base car? The z3 as you probably know offers a range of leather interiors ie red black brown etc I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping to keep changes on the inside to a minimum and certain colours may go well with certain colour schemes ..... Any thoughts? Also the main bulk of cars in my price range are 1.9L you guys think this would still have enough kick to be enjoyable and could I get it to sound the part on a low budget?? Any info would be great thanks ��
That link Paul pointed you to is a good source of info.

I test drove a 1.9 (1.8?) 118(ish) BHP version and felt a bit gutless to be honest. Ened up getting a 2.8. Depends what you want from the car really. Is it all about the looks or do you like a bit of 'go' to add to the 'show'! If you could any of the straight size engines it would have a nicer noise. Also if budget is tight there's a 140bhp 1.9 which might be worth a look if you can find one. That guide will tell you all you need about the models.

Interior colours: Black goes with anything. I ended up with Cream but have recoloured the seats black and working on changing some other parts black to leave it less overpowering. This ties me colour wise a bit. Ideally now I'll be using Blue, Green, Orange or black, but greys or silvers in my eyes would not work as well.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:27

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I would do anything you can to avoid the 1.9 engine. Even BMW were ashamed of it
Old 29th June 2014, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
I have some in the workshop, I will take some pics against a Kobra
Here is the Range Rover Sport side vent against a Kobra side panel. Not much taller than the "original" vent but longer.

Old 29th June 2014, 21:17

That's not bad at all. Definitely something to think about. Many thanks for that Chris.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:48

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

I think those Range Rover Sport side vents would look perfect on the Kobra.

Why make some new vents when you can buy these Off the shelf.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:48

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
I think those Range Rover Sport side vents would look perfect on the Kobra.

Why make some new vents when you can buy these Off the shelf.
Me too especially if going for a modern look
Old 30th June 2014, 20:34

Andyboy Cambridge is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info guys!! got my base car went for the red leather in the end.... although only the 1.9l couldn't resist a bargain! the guy selling on gumtree put the wrong contact no.( i rang the correct no. by mistake ) so of coarse he thought he had no interest and i knocked him down a few hundred i know this is a big ask.... and a pain in the ass but i want to be ready before i make the trip to get the kit.... so i wondered in anyone could spare a moment and note down a rough guide to what i need. my main worry is wiring lights! i can think of the obvious like fuel cap grills lights is there ne thing thats not so clear like the kit... dose it come with fixings.... 7' lights do they need bracts making .... etc andy info would be greatly appreciated x
Old 30th June 2014, 21:09

In a similar situation to you Andy but a few weeks farther down the line. Just awaiting my kit to be delivered this week and have just finished taking apart the bmw. Not sure on a few of the things you have asked about but Chris was just telling me he is finishing off a build guide this week and sending it my way. Don't worry too much about lights and things. It'll all become clearer when the kits in front of you too. We'll, that's what I'm hoping!
Old 30th June 2014, 21:34

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks for the info guys!! got my base car went for the red leather in the end.... although only the 1.9l couldn't resist a bargain! the guy selling on gumtree put the wrong contact no.( i rang the correct no. by mistake ) so of coarse he thought he had no interest and i knocked him down a few hundred i know this is a big ask.... and a pain in the ass but i want to be ready before i make the trip to get the kit.... so i wondered in anyone could spare a moment and note down a rough guide to what i need. my main worry is wiring lights! i can think of the obvious like fuel cap grills lights is there ne thing thats not so clear like the kit... dose it come with fixings.... 7' lights do they need bracts making .... etc andy info would be greatly appreciated x
Hi mate,
Im going to be brutally honest on the BM issue, if you got it cheap I would sell it for a profit and get a straight 6. The 6 is the beauty of the beemer and with a car that looks as cool as the Kobra you may regret it later. Either way though you are going to have an awesome looking car. Please don't take this as criticism just thinking ahead mate and future value. Enjoy your build whatever happens, loads of good guys on here to help you along the way.
Old 30th June 2014, 21:44

Hi Hammy, what stage are you at with yours? Many bits bought yet?
Old 30th June 2014, 21:50

Quote:
Where does the time go? Please let us know what the 1.9 engine is like Andy.

I will be posting up a Build Guide later this week, but here is a list of parts that you will require, examples of the type of parts I would buy myself (budget) and links to suppliers:

Headlights - 7" units with sidelights + mounting buckets
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4006629922...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Front and rear indictors, brake/side, fog and reverse lights
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1113009852...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Numberplate light
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2214086880...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Boot hinges
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3709402480...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Boot handle
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3214161040...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Europa Spares supply most Cobra hardware
http://www.europaspares.com/cobra-parts.html

SVC stock some quality parts
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/

Car Builder Solutions are also very helpful
http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/

The kit uses the original BMW mounting points and fixings for the panels with additional location provided steel L brackets included with the kit.

Wiring the lights straight forward, retain the bulb holder panels from the rear lights, as you will need the loom and sockets to plug back into the car once you have joined on the replacement lights.

Last edited by Tribute Automotive; 30th June 2014 at 22:12..
Old 1st July 2014, 06:34

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Seems to be a lot of questions regarding the 1.9, just ask WCA, he has definite views on this one for sure, over to you WCA?
Old 1st July 2014, 08:00

I will let him try for himself but...

... I understand that the Z3 1.9 is a bit like Celebrity Big Brother. Produced to please the masses but basically sh!t
Old 1st July 2014, 08:08

garyh is on a distinguished road

I found this on a Z3 site.

Check the resistance on your HT leads. The original Bremi leads should have a resistance between 4.9 – 5.5 kohms.

New set of spark plugs – mine responded well to Bosch FGR 7DQP+.

Put a bottle of injector cleaner in the system to clean those old injectors and finally, the M44 has a lot of vacuum pipework – there is a “tree” of four pipes (branching from the MAF bellows), under the inlet manifold, that goes to each injector. This is a characteristic of the M44 engine and is designed to help fuel atomization. These pipes get overlooked and split with age allowing small vacuum leaks – which causes a lack of power.

Don’t get depressed about the M44 engine, it shares a tough "racing" cast iron block with the M and its predecessor the M42 was said to be BMW’s most technologically advanced engine when fitted to the E30 which reportedly gave some of the BMW 6-cylinder engines (of the day) a run for their money. Remember the car is also a more lighter and agile than its 6-cylinder siblings.
Old 1st July 2014, 08:26

"The E30 was released in 1982" - It was a good engine in the '80s but the newer sixes are so much better.

Certainly try the 1.9 and if it was a bargain then well done. It would be a shame to spend the time effort and money on creating a beautiful car and then feel compromised by the engine.