Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th April 2012, 08:14

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Andy - I agree. I have spent a lot of time trying to work out exactly why the G46 looks so good when stood in front of it yet a bit bloated in the photos. My conclusion is that the flat white colour in the pictures hide the curves and lines.

If you look at the dark one in Charman.tech's thread it looks a whole lot better, even before he started cutting it about.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:18

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm really liking the wheels and the arches on that Huet.

Yes, I like the wheels and the arches. Mmmm, the wheels and the arches are really nice.

It's just a shame that the rest of it is a bit, well, fugly?
Old 10th April 2012, 08:23

volospian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I'm really liking the wheels and the arches on that Huet.

Yes, I like the wheels and the arches. Mmmm, the wheels and the arches are really nice.

It's just a shame that the rest of it is a bit, well, fugly?
I don't mind the rear wings...
Old 10th April 2012, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by volospian View Post
Okay, each to their own but I felt the whole design was rather bulbous and bloated compared to the Sammio Spyder. A bit Pilsbury dough boy compared to Gary's elegant greyhound. Not that I think Gary's creation looks like a dog. Or an American bus. I was just searching for something sleek, fast and easy to picture.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:37

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Yup. Fugly it is (You could make a water feature out of those lower 'eyelids') and some quirky statements in the sales blurb too such as 'The Aluminium dashboard is full of instruments'

But, for those looking at designs for an eventual hard top, they do have a nice line which could (on paper) graft onto a Sammio body here:
http://www.huetbrothers.com/Experience/the_car.php
Old 10th April 2012, 08:38

Jerome is on a distinguished road

Volospian, yeah I know.
Thats the reason why I'm asked if the body can lower or is the subframe from the Scimitar so high? If the body can be dropped a bit like this.

before:

After:

I don't know if this is possible with the donor car?
Old 10th April 2012, 09:42

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I'm sure that with a couple of adjustments the car can be look great!

Maybe some inspiration?
Very expensive 'kit car' from Holland named "the Huet Brothers'. Same idea, only a different price class
think you have hit the nail on the head..the cost ..Garys G46 bodyshell is cheap enough to nmodify yourself as seen by some of the guys building them if you dont like it...mod it..its only fibreglass and filler :-) you wouldnt do it to a 60-80k Huet car but one costing less than 2k go for it

managed to dig some info up on the Huet car though

Regulars here at Autoblog may have caught the HB Special we reported on two weeks ago. The retro roadster, inspired classic by the Le Mans and Mille Miglia racers of the 1950's, was created by Dutch brothers Tino and Paul Huet, who intended to produce a limited quantity exclusively for use on their European classic motoring rallies. But demand for the unique HB Special grew to such an extent that the Huet Brothers have decided to put it into limited production.

Based on a modified Triumph TR6 chassis, the HB Special uses the British roadster's original straight six, but bored out from 2.5- to 2.7-liter and fitted with new Honda pistons. Buyers can choose between three versions, with 160 or 180 hp or a supercharged version pumping out over 210 ponies. Buyers will also get the opportunity to specify from a wide range of options, from color and interior trim to a limited slip differential. The Huets plan on producing an initial run of five units, with a maximum of ten vehicles per year depending on demand. Prices start at €67,000 for the 160hp model and range up to €80k for a fully-optioned supercharged version. We've added a handful of new images to our high-resolution gallery of the HB Special, so check it out, along with the press release after the jump.

Related GalleryHuet Brothers HB Special
[Source: Huet Brothers]
PRESS RELEASE

Limited number of HB Specials for sale in 2009

Netherlands, 13 januari 2009

Since de launch of the HB Special in 2007 the Dutch Huet Brothers have had numerous requests of potential buyers to, next to the original concept, build a limited run of HB Specials for sale.

Huet Brothers have decided to adhere to this request and offer a possibility to order a HB Special. The HB Special is inspired by Lemans racers of the 50's and specifically designed for sporty drivers. The body of the car is made from Carbon fibre and the cockpit of aluminium. The car is based on a modefied Triumph TR6 chassis. The engine is upgraded to 2.7 litres and gets Honda pistons. There will be a choice between 3 versions, 160 hp, 180 hp and a 210+ hp supercharged HB special.

Production starts in the beginning of 2009. Clients wil be part of the building process and will have numerous options to choose from. Apart from your standard options like colors, LSD and overdrive you can choose different style seating, steering wheels and all sorts of customizable items.

LOOKS BETTER FROM THE REAR

Last edited by redratbike; 10th April 2012 at 10:03..
Old 10th April 2012, 10:24

I am sure if you dropped £60K on Gary's lap he would make the wheel arches round for you and probably even give you a steering wheel of your choice!

Please don't give Gary any ideas about raising the price before I sell my TVR so I can pay for the kit as it is!
Old 11th April 2012, 22:53

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Cool 550 + spyder = g46

Quote:
Originally Posted by volospian View Post
I may be stating the obvious, but it seems the G46 is a 550 rear end with a sammio spyder bonnet.

I was sure I had seeen the rear before but this picture confirms it.

So moving the seats and the doors is the wrong strategy. It is the engine that needs moving - mid mounted v6 in the rear passenger seats!
Old 12th April 2012, 05:17

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMartin View Post
I may be stating the obvious, but it seems the G46 is a 550 rear end with a sammio spyder bonnet.

I was sure I had seeen the rear before but this picture confirms it.

So moving the seats and the doors is the wrong strategy. It is the engine that needs moving - mid mounted v6 in the rear passenger seats!
Im sure Garry will confirm this but i don't think the G46 has a 550 rear

In the infancy of the G46 i visited on numerous occassions - i was intending to shorten a G46 to fit an MX5 chassis, Back then it was just foam, filler and the twinkle in Garry and Mikes eyes.
I ended up with a 550 rear clam on the roadster - it is hugely diferent in width,length,height the haunches of the G46 are huge compared to the 550.

I still think the mx5 G46 is viable and less work than the project that im building - and much less work than Chairman's G46. Imagine a G46 with 6 inches removed from between the rear wheel arch and the door.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:25

And that 550 replica has sooo got the wrong wheels on it. I mean, Beetle four bolt steels, what were they thinking?

That picture really shows why the G46 needs round arches though.

The rear lights are nice, too.

And the silver stripes over the rear wings.

And I love the exhaust.

Etc.

Etc...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 12th April 2012 at 06:28..
Old 12th April 2012, 07:57

not only is it like a 550, it is also like a Testa Rossa replica

It is also not dissimilar to a Conra

and there is a definate hint of the D Type about it

It is almost like Gary looked at a number of the best looking sports cars of the period and designed his own body shape inspired by these. Seems like a great idea to me!
Old 12th April 2012, 08:04

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

If you look at car design through the ages, you will see trends appearing due to many factors, not least of them being fashion. If the desired look is for a 50's style open top car, it's inevitable that it would look 'something' like a whole heap of cars from that era.

To my mind, the G46 looks EXACTLY like a G46
Old 12th April 2012, 08:08

I am not certain it looks EXACTLY like a G46, there are certain hints of the Sammio about it ;-)
Old 12th April 2012, 10:11

WCA,

With all due respect the G46 rear is nothing like the tessa rossa, cobra or any other front engined rear wheel drive 50s car as they seem to have a higher boot!

That's what makes the G46 unique.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:39

patoune is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary,

I am still waiting for some actual pictures of the G45 !...
Old 13th April 2012, 23:11

Default G46 Wire wheels

Now the standard se5 scimitar was not fitted with wire wheels, so before I go hunting on ebay, how has gary conveted his G46 demo car featured in all these pictures?
Cheers HM
Old 14th April 2012, 05:24

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Wire Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMartin View Post
Now the standard se5 scimitar was not fitted with wire wheels, so before I go hunting on ebay, how has gary conveted his G46 demo car featured in all these pictures?
Cheers HM
I assume Gary has used TR6 wire wheels as all the front suspension is shared by both cars.

We are using series 3 "E Type" wires they are 15's so may be bigger than those available for a TR6 one draw back is that we will have to have the splined stud adaptors made with the correct PCD which is going to cost about £100 per corner, unless anyone out there knows of an alternative.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:18

Just googled a bit and ended up here : http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006726

5 wire wheels and conversion kit for just £1,400

That's £1,250 more trhan I paid for the car!
Old 14th April 2012, 07:22

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

are these any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3705781662...84.m1423.l2649