Originally Posted by KrazyKen
Shame about Johns electrical gremlins as it robbed him of valuable track time.
Just to close that comment out, having this evening investigated the problems I had at Colerne, I believe I've established why my problems were so hard to fathum on the day.
On the day, the ECU circuit was frying fuses at first, but then starting working, but inconsistently. Yesterday I checked all of the wiring and I could find no obvious faults, so I started pushing, prodding, tapping components at random. When I tapped the ecu, the fuel pump and ecu cut out briefly. I tried it again, and discovered I could repeat the effect time and time again. I then jiggled the plugs to the ecu, and saw the main board was moving relative to the aluminium case.... which it shouldn't, as the main board is screwed to the case...... in theory.
This evening I unbolted the ecu from the chassis (it's awkwardly mounted under my dashboard), and discovered it rattled! With the cover off, it was clear one of the 4 screws holding the main board to the case had rattled loose, and was rolling around no doubt shorting pins. Whilst the cover was removed, I unplugged the hondata daughterboard from the main board, and discovered a shambolic bodge! Clearly when the daughterboard was fitted to the ECU, it was discovered (by the modifying agent) that one of the connectors (it uses PC style jumper pins) was not making good contact with the main board, so rather than fix the connector, it was paccked out with strands of wire!
So in conclusion, it seems the problems with my car weren't of my making. The blame appears to lie firmly with the 3rd party that undertook the (expensive) modification to my ECU, and didn’t tighten up the mounting screws (although 1 had fallen out, the other 3 weren’t very tight either)!