Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 4th November 2014, 18:10

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up wheel hubsupright

Hi dino chums

does anyone on here know of anyone making quality hub carriers/uprights
to use in a dino build. Will need front and rear hubs /carriers and brakes

any info would be good

Ian
Available from eBay
Old 4th January 2015, 19:24
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian,
I don't know of anyone making an upright specifically for a Dino build. I guess it would depend on what design the build was following. It would be great to see a design, complete with chassis, suspension, body drawings like the type available for Lotus seven / Locost replicas.

If I were designing from scratch I'd start with the original Dino 246 and create something based around readily available modern components.
As a hub I'd suggest the Alfa Romeo 166 which has the correct PCD (5 x 108mm) for genuine and reproduction Dino wheels as well as the correct centre bore for the wheels. The front, driven, hubs (from the front wheel drive 166) could be used on the back of a Dino replica and the back 166 ones on the front.
An upright design could be made of plate steel designed with tabs and slots to be self-jigging. This follows the ideas of "Rorty" from his Locost and off road component experience - see this link:

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/comp...orty_uprights/

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=293

For those not blessed with being brilliant suspension design engineers here is a link to how to use a basic understanding and trial and error to fine tune a suspension design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6crOSs6LCTQ
Jim McSorley shows how in these three videos. He also has plans for uprights and chassis on his website:
http://sevenesque.com

If anyone does have Dino designs it would be great to share them!
cheers
Ross (in NZ)
Old 4th January 2015, 21:49
Enthusiast

Rorty's self-jigging idea - cut from a CAD file

here is one of his front uprights on a Locost

and a rear upright design for a Locost

an Alfa 166 front hub (to be used on the back of a Dino build since it is driven) looks like this

an Alfa 166 rear hub, for use on the front of a Dino build, looks like this
Old 18th January 2015, 14:10

Default hubs and uprghts

HI rossnzwpi

I like some of your ideas.I have looked at lotus 7ish front uprights and you can buy some very nice cast examples but many of them have a 750kg max weight
limit. The finished dino would be well above this.
I could make some patterns and have some cast/machined but would need some drawings to work to maybe working with 166 hubs and bearings.

ian
Old 6th March 2015, 20:10
Enthusiast

Default or adapt existing upright

Hi, alternatively you could use a suspension from an existing car and adapt it. For example the mid engine MGF. One member here has put Alfa 166 hubs into MGF already. Or the Mazda MX5 would be relatively easy to fit 166 hubs to. You'd need to find a bearing that would fit the hole in the upright and the new hub plus machine or pack out with a spacer to match the offset. Then an adaptor bracket to fit the new big Alfa brakes.

I wonder if the big Alfa 166 brakes and Brembo callipers fit in a Dino 14" Cromodora wheel? If not perhaps the smaller Alfa 156 callipers and re-drilled brakes might be made to fit... or bigger Cromodoras.....
Old 6th March 2015, 22:35
Enthusiast

Default adapted hub

Here's an example of a Mazda MX5 front upright (spindle, knuckle - depending where you live) fitted with a Mazda RX7 hub. The hub is bigger and stronger and five stud instead of four. The MX5 stub axle is a smaller diameter - hence the tubular bush. The RX7 hub is taller - hence the MX5 upright has been turned down a few mm at the base of the axle to keep the standard offset.

cut and paste this link to see a picture : http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?7,28901
cheers
Ross
Old 14th March 2015, 18:38
Enthusiast

If you are going down the route of designing your own uprights then CADCAM milling them out of billet aluminium check out kikiturbo's build log on the locust forum:

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopi...5899&start=105

cheers
Ross (in NZ)
Old 15th March 2015, 11:13

Default uprights and suspension

Hi all
I like all of he ideas you've come up with.There sure is alot of talent out there!
Adapting some manufacturers existing uprights / hubs may be the best way to go though.These will have the most r&d gone into them. I know bespoke items could be made but then price comes into it as one off's tend to be extremely expensive!
I'm sure some where on here I've read that upmarket audi's have alloy uprights?It's just finding something suitable to start with. I have approached several top end kit car manufacturers but they are reluctant to sell just uprights/hubs or want silly money for them.
On another note does anyone on here know how dimensionally accurate the classic replicas chassis was? One (I think it was one) popped up on ebay recently.Looked a step up from the deon chassis, although it was a bare chassis with no suspension/wishbones or further information.Built to take the alfa v6 engine.I do like the cascu dino chassis but needing so many original dino components that are either sky high in price or no longer available does put me off a little. And a dino308 could be used as a donor not all parts carry across either.Plus these are now going up in price this also seems a none starter.I thought maybe a classic replica chassis and a cascu shell.
ian
Old 7th May 2015, 05:47
Enthusiast

Hi Ian,
checkout Haken Haver's build diary. he's making a custom chassis, suspension and body midengine V6 Alfa car. He had aluminium uprights milled from (I think) CAD designs. All of it looks similar to what you after after. The diary is in Swedish but Google Chrome browser does an OK job of translating it:

http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?...er=asc&start=0

Maybe we Dino replica fans should create our own "Locost" designs for a tubular spaceframe, CAD uprights (or modified production designs) and body, trim, etc drawings. The engine bay could suit a variety of transverse V6s - especially the Alfa

What do you think?
Ross (in NZ)
Old 9th May 2015, 09:52

Hi Ross
I do love the obscure material you come up with-real gems. There is a lot of talent out there.As to whether these builders would be willing to share ideas is another question!
But your idea of a locost type set of chassis plans for dino builder did set the cogs in gear!! This would be something I'd like to see. Whether there would be enough interest I'm not sure.But I really like this type of thinking!
A set of plans with tubes dimensions and plates and a cad/cam package of laser cut steel would be great. I bet someone out there with an understanding of set up/handling stresses etc could come up with the design.

Ian