Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 11th September 2012, 18:23

Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default Can anyone help with a Racetech Dash 2 please!!

Hi. Things are progressing, we have a spark at the plugs, haven't fuelled and fired the engine yet, but close....Dad in his wisdom ordered a Racetechnology Dash2 all in one LCD Dash display for the car. It looks 'The Dog's', but is a nightmare to set up!! It does/can not read the data direct from the BMW senders or off the ECU apparently!! There are aftermarket sensors you can get for temperatures/pressures/levels etc... But Racetech are unable to tell us where these should be situated to gather the data. Water temp is fairly straightorward I assume, a sensor on/at the inlet of the rad should do I reckon. The oil pressure and temperature are stumping us though. Realistcally can we just cut hoses, insert a T-piece and attach the sensor to that, or do we try and site them at or near the existing sensor positions on the S50 1994 M3 block? Either way is tricky, but the first is easier I reckon. Anyone familiar with this problem, or know someone who's a dab hand with this type of Dash set up please???

This hurdle and some 're-engineering' of the Marlin exhaust and the engine should breath again!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Rob
Available from eBay
Old 11th September 2012, 20:17
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

On the M20 the brown temp sensor is for the gauge you can replace it with one suitable for the racetech. The blue one is for the ECU. I would expect there to be something similar on the a later engine.

Sensor is the brass coloured one:

Again on the M20 there is a oil pressure switch on the exhaust side. I used various parts from http://www.europaspares.com/ to put a T piece in moving the standard switch down and the sensor for the instrument on the side.

Parts (didn't use the middle one):

Pressure sensor:

You can see approx where it is located here:

I would guess you might be able to use different combinations of adapters to get a temp reading for oil as well.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:34

Thanks Patrick. Auto electrics/data capturing is not my bag. But your photos should help a lot!

Thanks again

Rob
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:24

Me again Patrick!! Have sussed out threads needed for the block and the sensors, based on your example (helped massively btw!!). My new question is, do we need to keep the original BMW wiring for these at all? I don't think we do, as the new sensors are sending the relevant info to the dash. Just didn't know if the loom or ECU needed the original sensors to still be 'active' or it may cause a limp mode or similar to kick in? Hope that makes sense, VERY amateur auto electrician alert!!!

Thanks again

Rob
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:34
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Oil pressure was a new wire I added to the loom. I used the stock wiring for the brown temp sensor. I think it runs into the car loom and then to the gauge bypassing the ECU, however my brother did that part of the wiring so I'm not 100% sure. I'll ask him.