Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th October 2014, 21:43
Kit Car Dreamer

Rikochet is on a distinguished road
Default My search for a perfect donor car:(

Hi everyone. Ok I've always wanted to own a kit car and apart from a short fling with a Covin 911 replica (too far gone to bother with) I've never had the chance to do so.

I've fallen for the Tribute MX250 and I'm hoping I'll have the funds to buy one in the new year. In the meantime I've been looking for an mx5 donor. Although I'm a qualified panel beater/painter I don't want to mess about with the kit any more than I need to so for that reason I'm looking for a mk1. Thing is I've got a private reg R77 KKM and I want this to be on the finished article. Obviously this leaves me limited to one years worth of Mk1s and everything I've found so far is too expensive to be used as a viable donor.

I did find one on Gumtree the other day which the guy said was 95% complete. There were even videos of the engine running and the pics made it look workable. When I got there I lifted the cover and found about 30% was on the drive in the form of rust and the rest had been butchered for spares. There was no steering wheel, seat, wheels, brakes, ecu, bootlid, front wings or bumper. Half the engine bay was in the boot and the rest had been sold on eBay!

One good thing did come out of my trip as the guy gave me an extended test drive of his working mx5 Hadn't driven one before so I was chuffed to bits.

It was a 1.8 with no PAS or electric windows so it gave me a good idea of what to expect. I was left thinking about more power and bigger brakes!
Available from eBay