Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 21st February 2012, 19:28

Dpaz is on a distinguished road
Default Towing

What is the situation regards towing a non registered non running vehicle on an A frame. Eg. A near complete kit car with a fitted non running engine. I understand the braking issues, but when does a trailer become a motor vehicle.
Available from eBay
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:19

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I have had a look on the internet and it does seem a bit of a grey area. However if the vehicle is un-occupied and a non-runner you may get way with calling it a trailer if it is coupled by an A-frame.
But you may have to argue your case in court!
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:28

woodsmith is on a distinguished road

I would suspect that if it fitted the weight/braking requirements and towed correctly as a steered trailer it may seem to be a trailer. However, I suspect the Police will apply common sense and say that 'if it looks like a car and moves like a car then it must be a car, albeit a non running one.

Maybe you could argue that it is only a car once it has been through the IVA and been registered.

The next point would be that if it is recently made, and I can't remember the year, the 'trailer' will need to have a plate that states the year of manufacture, number of axles, unladen and gross weights, etc. and the Police can make you take it to a weigh bridge to confirm the figures on the plate.

Of course, if it is above the maximum unbraked weight you car is allowed to tow, 750kg maximum but could be lower, then it will also need to have overrun brakes with auto reversing. That would be quite a difficult thing to fit on a kit car.

For moving mine about I am designing a skeletal trailer to carry it. Basically an axle and drawbar that inserts under the chassis.
If I can keep my trike and trailer combo below the 650kg unbrake limit for my car then I can use an unbraked trailer.
I could dispense with the chassis and just bolt the suspension units to the underside of the trike chassis and then bolt on a drawbar but then the area becomes a little greyer!
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:41

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I'd just use a trailer tbh, it eliminates all issues with the car as it's a dead weight on a trailer rather than rolling. Not sure whether you have built it and want to move it or have bought it and transporting home but, depending on the condition of the car and build stage it may not move properly, the bearings could be shot etc and cause more hassle than it's worth.
Old 25th February 2012, 21:31

At the moment I am weighing up projects and am thinking of a reverse trike or buggy to tow behind a camper. But it will need to be moved before completion hence the question.My car a 2l 'Berlingo' will tow 1000Kg tops. A skelly trailer could be a goer though. I know as a registered vehicle A frame towing it would not be a problem. Hey ho! If life was easy what would we do for fun?
Old 26th February 2012, 20:23

Default towing

According to the 'Muddy Buggies' site under 750Kg a buggy on an A frame is a trailer, but if the buggy has brakes then they must work when on the overun.