Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th April 2012, 08:13

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Tear drop blister

I noticed that some of the spyders have a pretty tear drop blister off centre on the bonnet, may be something needed for the Vitesse engine?

As we now have a bonnet as opposed to a front flip, and now positioning the pedal box it is apparent that the brake and clutch reservoir will be so close to the top of the fixed front end that we will have no access to them.

So our thoughts are to position a removable tear drop blister above that can be removed to access the reservoirs. It will be practical and we think look very good as well.

My question is is that tear drop a standard item you can buy off the shelf, or does Gary have a mould or any other suggestions/ideas would be welcome.
Available from eBay
Old 12th April 2012, 08:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I asked the same question about a week ago and got no reply. The only ones I could find were on ebay at about £40 a throw, which is too much imho.

My current plan is to use plastic easter egg packaging as a mould to make my own out of fibreglass. No, really I am.

Unless anyone's got a better suggestion...
Old 12th April 2012, 11:08

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I think that the majority of those blisters are there when people have the SU carbs aren't they? I have a set of SU's that i may eventually put on and they are a lot taller than the Strombergs...

But i digress.

I know that i've not strictly got a 'blister' but more of a 'bulge' (phanaar) but making that was really quick and simple and i was stunned to hear that people are trying to charge £40 for one!

It should be as quick and as simple as getting a former in place and then glassing over it.

For me, i didn't have any foam to make a removable former so i used strips of fibreglass that were cut from the piece that i'd removed for the grill.
They were laid over the hole i'd cut out of the bonnet and the ends screwed in place to keep them 'curved' while the bonding paste set them in position.

I then glassed over the top of them and once that had cured i applied more bonding paste underneath to bond the strips of fibreglass to the new bulge.
All finished off on top with a bit of filler and job's a good-un.

In reality you could use anything: foam, cardboard etc. to make the initial teardrop shape and then glass over it and remove the former once the new fibreglass blister has cured.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:33

bladerunner is on a distinguished road

This link might be useful and the smaller ones are a bit less than £40. They seem a bargain when you consider material costs and the time you will save.

http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.u...owerbulges.htm
Old 14th April 2012, 12:22

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I can do the little blister that we use to deal with the Spitfire engined Spyders ....similar to the one on Phil9's car...£12 including postage.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:48

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Blister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
I can do the little blister that we use to deal with the Spitfire engined Spyders ....similar to the one on Phil9's car...£12 including postage.
Gary

Yes please, I also have a boot lid, which I have not got around to collecting, would it be possible to make my blister and post both together for me I will of course cover the cost of the postage.

Thanks