Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd December 2012, 21:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Looking good Mr T, looking good.

A perfect way for me to switch off the computer and step away from the forum for a few days.

Have a good one, Paul.
Old 31st December 2012, 19:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm off to work in half an hour, 9pm to 6am on foot keeping order in a busy town centre so I'd just like to wish everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year before I set off.

Let's see some more Sammios finished in 2013, especially mine!

Got permission from my significant other today to go to Goodwood revival in September, so that's something to really look forward to. Just the small matter of getting some leave organised as I'm supposed to be working that weekend.

Enjoy your celebrations everybody and I'll see you next year.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:53

First progress of 2013 today - I was too tired yesterday after getting in from work at 6:30am and then getting up to do family stuff three hours later.

The job I set myself this afternoon was to grind down the last vestiges of the rear outriggers, paint the bare metal stumps with hammerite and then fill and sand the rear corners. I ran out of light before I could get them fully smoothed into the bodywork though

I did have time to 'deseam' the rear wings while the filler dried though. Sanding them down took a lot more time and effort than expected, even with very coarse 80 grit paper on the mouse.

Back to work in the morning for me but I'm hoping to get some more body prep done in a few days.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

I am sure that when you get that first coat of primer on, the body work will look the part.

I'd put sanding my own seams on my list of Christmas jobs that didn't need many tools / parts.
So thanks for the heads up on the fact I will need to allow a bit of time.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:10

garyh is on a distinguished road

Evening T, nice to see you getting some work done.
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:32

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

The dremmel or equivalent rips through those seams worth a thought

Last edited by Psycho pops; 2nd January 2013 at 22:20..
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:40

seanick is on a distinguished road

Quicker with a long board, and you will get a better finish. Just glue (spraymount) your paper onto a piece of thin ply. Add a couple of blocks on top for grippage, and your off.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:26

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

My home made long board sanders were lengths of grey foam pipe lagging cut in half to leave a flat side for the paper and the curved bit to grip.

You can cut these to whatever lengths you want, the curved bit is comfortable to hold, it is very cheap and has enough flex in its length to cope with the curves of the bodywork

I made mine about 12" long and they cut the seams down to size quickly and easily with a length if 80 grit on them
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:10

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Looks good! I'm starting to get twitchy and wanting to get re-building my car now but i'm still waiting on parts

For the more aggressive sanding jobs i used sanding flap wheels in the angle grinder. They just eat through the bigger stuff in no time at all but you have to be VERY delicate!
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:14

All good advice guys. This is my first go at sanding, filling and flatting a car body so I'm kind of making it up as I go along at the moment.

I know deadlines are a waste of time but I'm now hoping for an on the road date by the end of this month. Hmm, need to get a move on, methinks.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:41

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Once you got the filler close, get yourself a can of spray paint , darker the better, and mist it over the filler. Next when you block down your see any low patches which will still have the paint in the low patches. This does not mean
that you always need to add filler, it might mean you need to block more filler.

Your get a feel once you had some pratice, if you run your hand flat over the surface , not pressing hard your feel the height or low points in the filler.

Try and work in round about a metre square area so you dont miss anying dips that might that might show in the finish paint.

Always ask me and i will help
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:53

Thanks Mike, sound advice, I'll get a can of black to dust over the surface after the etch primer goes on.

When it comes to flatting the body, will high build primer actually level small dips or do I have to use filler? This might sound like a stupid question but I'm a complete novice at this spraying lark.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:26

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Mate, you can spell i cant, lol but i do bodywork

Well i can work body filler without a guide coat as ive been doing this for many years, but not alot of people get the feel for the finish needed. I think by spraying guide coat between filler coats will realy help you and take alot of the
guessing out rubbing down. You are right about the high build it take s a very small amount of the level up , but only maybe 2mm if that after flating back , its more for pin holes and blending paint or filler into existing body work.
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:02

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The spraying and saniding idea works. Did mine I. Burgundy as that was what was the shelf. The first photos show what appeared to be a flat panel.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...t=3273&page=11
Old 11th January 2013, 15:42

Having decided to spray my 'egg crate' grille in Ford Diamond White to complement the silver paintwork, I spent a couple of hours today fitting it up and sorting out a black aluminium mesh 'inner' to stop stones hitting the radiator -

I was hoping to put a full day's work into it tomorrow, but snow is forecast for the East of England tomorrow.

Still, should be ready for Goodwood...
Old 11th January 2013, 15:47

garyh is on a distinguished road

Evening T, looking good... the grill looks smart.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:39

phil9 is on a distinguished road

looking nice.... pop into your wife she said u was hard at it ...if i had not had to go to docs to day would have pop over for a cupper ..but alls going well and looking very nice
Old 11th January 2013, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil9 View Post
looking nice.... pop into your wife she said u was hard at it ...if i had not had to go to docs to day would have pop over for a cupper ..but alls going well and looking very nice
Yes, she said she'd bumped into you and your other 'alf, Phil. Hope everything's ok with the Doc and you know you're always welcome to pop round for a brew. How's progress on your mkIII racing Spyder, got it to the moon rover stage yet?
Old 11th January 2013, 19:49

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

In the words of Tony the Tiger....Greaaaaaaat!
Silver and white sounds very nice to me.
Final pic looks so mean. I'm going for "quaint 50s English", but that is something different.....and I really like it.
Old 11th January 2013, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
In the words of Tony the Tiger....Greaaaaaaat!
Silver and white sounds very nice to me.
Final pic looks so mean. I'm going for "quaint 50s English", but that is something different.....and I really like it.
Cheers matey, it looks even meaner in the 'metal'.

I put a lot of thought into the colour of the grille. My first notion was to go black for a contrast look, then silver to match the body. White won out though after exhaustive google images research kept drawing me back to a more subtle complementary colour. I'm very pleased with the look and I might even spray the wheels to match at some stage...