Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 23rd October 2006, 19:41
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default So - where do you mount the coil?

I have almost completed the engine installation now - just need to mount the coil. But where? I think it should be kept away from heat but the only obvious places are near the rad or the exhaust manifold neither of which seem to be ideal. So come on fellow builders - where did you put yours (as they say...)

Robin

PS just completed the clutch hydraulics. The slave cylinder fooled me for a while in that it seems you have to mount it upsidedown with the bleed nipple at the bottom. Strange - but the BMW manual confirms this - I guess it's going to be a bit of a b*gger to bleed.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd October 2006, 20:39
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Ours is mounted here:

Plan to put some heat sheild around it. Also the engine wiring loom needed strippping and changing a bit to locate it here.

P.S. do you have the GSF part number for the brake master cylinder? I've managed to order the wrong one

P.P.S. yup the clutch was a bit of a bugger to bleed, lots of fluid when through the system!
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:56
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Robin,
good to hear that you are nearly ready to start your engines!

I have mounted the coil up front near the radiator. Not ideal, maybe, but didn't like it near the exhaust and not to low down to pck up muck and rain?
You can see it here but it's not a very good shot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-...lin/165141321/

I had the same thought about the clutch slave cylinder but I think i've seen a sectional drawing showing that the bleed passage actaully goes to the top inside the casting. (Bently manual?) so the bleed nipple at the bottom is correct.

cheers,

Peter
Old 24th October 2006, 07:27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

P.S. do you have the GSF part number for the brake master cylinder? I've managed to order the wrong one
I am not sure that the one I have will be correct for you. Are you using a two line or three line hydraulic system? Mine is two lines but I know some of the master cylinders have three connections. If it's a two line you are after I still have the box (at home) and so should be able to get the part number from there.

Cheers

Robin
Old 24th October 2006, 07:29
Enthusiast

I've just come off the phone with them, it looks like it maybe an incorrectly boxed part as the man on the other end of hte line came up with the same part number! I'm going to send it back and see what they say.

My donor had a 3 line cylinder with one bunged up so only 2 are used.
Old 24th October 2006, 07:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
I have mounted the coil up front near the radiator. Not ideal, maybe, but didn't like it near the exhaust and not to low down to pck up muck and rain?
Hi Peter - that was the sort of position I was thinking but my rad is in a slightly different position with no gap for air to pass it. (Big gap the other side for cold air to the AFM) I guess it will have to do unless I can think of anywhere else. Like you I didn't want it near the exhaust or in a position where it could get covered in muck. I did think about mounting it up on the bulkhead but that would mean extending the HT lead and I have been trying to keep to standard BMW bits throughout.

Cheers

Robin
Old 24th October 2006, 07:41
Enthusiast

I wouldn't want to mess with BMW HT leads they have a reputation for never going wrong. I only changed mine because one of the leads was cracked and the magnecore ones were less expensive than OEM (that and the blue looks pretty!).
Old 24th October 2006, 17:34
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

Part number on white label on box is 140101 1 B 65025 sems to have been stuck ther by GSF

Manufactures (ATE) part number on arange label on box is 03.2022-1201 3

Cheers

Robin
Old 24th October 2006, 20:58
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan
Part number on white label on box is 140101 1 B 65025 sems to have been stuck ther by GSF

Manufactures (ATE) part number on arange label on box is 03.2022-1201 3

Cheers

Robin
Thank you very much for checking that its the same one I ordered: 65025 looks like it was boxed incorrectly