Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 17th March 2007, 22:54
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Default interesting video

Has everyone seen this video? It's more for the honda builders as Javan uses the honda engine so is basically the same car

Wish mine was built.....

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...nsportscarscom
Available from eBay
Old 18th March 2007, 07:17
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Thanks a good video Craig. I plan on doing a couple of videos soon and putting it on my web site. Still don't know how they get the weight to 600-700 KG.

Mine is going to look hopefully a lot like the Javan. Same colour front splitter and same rear lights.

It's down to preference. But I like the sound of the Granny frightener. The dump valve. Though Andy said he is planning on changing his as it's getting on his nerves.

I think it would be interesting to see a standard Type R and turbo head to head at pod. The Rover guys have discussed this in the past (Type R v Coupe Turbo). But though the engines are similar in HP, the aerodynamics and age of the Rover chassis (standard) calls for a not fair comparison. But in the EXI this are not a factor.
Old 18th March 2007, 09:08
Enthusiast

Interesting challenge John!

I don't know I suppose that whatever engine we have we will always be slightly biased towards it, but with the weight I am certain that brians turbo version weighed in at 720kg (he may be along to confirm this) so with the type r engine being all alloy it will defo come in at under 700kg I would have thought. Bearing in mind that the turbo is cast iron

With regards which one is faster some of it comes down to how it's driven.

With the honda cars apart from those people who have chosen to buy marlins little black box of tricks, most of use seemed to have gone the hondata route which adds about 30bhp. But I bet there are not many standard turbo's out there either.......

As for the looks of the car yep followed same route as Javan (however I would have done some of it anyway such as exhaust)

Same rear lights, same exhaust exit, same instruments (smiths all round)

and currently desperately trying to source a rear spoiler that sits low like the Javan but to no avail...........
Old 19th March 2007, 05:25
Enthusiast

Yep an interesting comparison.

The 5EXI has a good base to compare both powertrains. Though as you say, the honda engines will be tuned a bit if using the hondadata.

The only changes to mine away from the donor are very minor. Marlin's exhaust (+10HP??), a ITG air filter (+5HP??) and a GBE boost controller. The boost controll does not give any extra BHP, but better response from the turbo. And the engine needs at least 1000 miles to run her in.

Also agree that a lot has to do with the driver.
Old 24th March 2007, 18:37
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

How are you cooling the charge on the turbo? Presumably with a charge cooler, as getting decent airlflow to an intercooler in the engine bay will prove troublesome?
Old 25th March 2007, 04:44
Enthusiast

Yes I agree. It's not ideal at the moment having the intercooler in the engine bay, and the only airflow will be from the triangular vents and big cut out on the engine bay. But once it has passed the SVA, I plan on removing the intercooler and mounting it (a modified one from a Nissan Pulsar a lot bigger intercooler) in front of the rad. This is how John (Marlinturbo) has done his.
Old 25th March 2007, 12:18
Enthusiast

Won't such a long length of boost pipe have an appreciable impact on lag? A friend of mine is using a charge cooler on his Audi S4 engined Esprit for this very reason.
Old 25th March 2007, 13:37
Enthusiast

A friend of mine had a charge cooler on a renault 5 turbo years ago and they are very good apart from the fact they sound awesome it added about 30hp to his car over the intercooler

John, have you considered water injection?
Old 25th March 2007, 18:41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
The 5EXI has a good base to compare both powertrains. Though as you say, the honda engines will be tuned a bit if using the hondadata.
The Hondata map for the Uk K20A2 is a very close approximation to the standard map, and unfortunately doesn't add anything. Unless the ECU is remapped to engine / exhaust / intake, it's fair to assume the K20A2 will make less in the 5EXI than in a standard EP3 Civic.

I suspect that on the strip the rover turbo cars will beat the honda engined cars. The track might be more interesting though, as theoretically the Honda engine should be more adjustable with the throttle.
Old 25th March 2007, 19:13
Enthusiast

It would be a good comparison. Could do with the Stig taken the both round the track and on the strip!

The trouble is with water cooling, the turbo engine bay is already jam packed with cooling pipes. Especially the centre tunnel. Last time I mentioned the length to John, the lag was not apparent. Also the intake temperatures was a lot lower (due to the better cooling and bigger intercooler). Be interesting to find out from John now the mods are done. But guessing that John may have a T28 turbo now, would be more lag anyway. So would be hard to tell if the length was causing the lag or the turbo.
Old 25th March 2007, 20:50
Enthusiast

When I said 30bhp from hondata I meant after mapping based on the cpl website where they compare car before and after mapping it has extra 40hp
Old 29th March 2007, 09:09
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Guys,

I've got Autronic EMS in mine. Grant and I have mapped the car and found that there is no noticaeable lag with my FMIC. The EMS gives us the ability to change ignition settings away from stock. Add the fact that the car is very light and this I believe is why there is no lag.

Grant I'm sure will add to this...

Yes I have a bigger turbo too :-)

I've made a lot of changes to mine.
Should be on the road next week, and back to the dyno for a re-map at 19psi of boost.

John
Old 29th March 2007, 09:28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinturbo View Post
Yes I have a bigger turbo too :-)

I've made a lot of changes to mine.
Should be on the road next week, and back to the dyno for a re-map at 19psi of boost.

John
Looking at them figures, Grant has been tickering then!