Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st August 2008, 20:50
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Sportster Hood Frame

Can anyone post any pictures of how the hood frame is fixed and any fitting tips?

thanks

Peter
Available from eBay
Old 4th October 2008, 17:18
Enthusiast

Well, I visited the Marlin factory yesterday and they had just fitted a hood frame and hood to a customers car, so I got a first hand instruction on how to fit a Sportster hood from Mark.

I took some photo's and have uploaded them on my Flickr site to help anyone else embarking on this exercise.

You can find them here.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-...7600173048451/

Before anyone is confused, no this is NOT my car!! I will post pictures of my own attempt at fitting as and when I make some progress.

I've also got some pictures under the dashboard showing where to mount the windscreen wiper motor and wheel boxes. If anyone is interested, let me know and i'll upload those as well.

Last edited by peterux; 4th October 2008 at 17:19.. Reason: typo
Old 4th October 2008, 17:53
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

thanks for the pics, I won't be getting any more parts from Marlin so will source a hood else where, interesting to see how they've done it
Old 4th October 2008, 21:01
Enthusiast

Yes, when my wife saw my latest hoard of goodies she wanted to know what the tent poles were for!

(She has one of those little Peugeot cabriolets with a push button hood)
Old 18th October 2008, 21:11
Enthusiast

I thought i'd have a go at fitting my hood today.

But I didn't get very far since the hood supplied is too short for my car

I'll be on the phone to Terry on Monday..............

(I should have bought a Peugeot!)
Old 18th October 2008, 21:14
Enthusiast

balls what a PITA.

I'm still eyeing up MX5 hoods and frames so see if I could modify one to fit, but that doesn't look like a great option.
Old 19th October 2008, 14:10
Enthusiast

Figured out why this might be a bit short, they used to make a short wheel base version of the Sportster (the ford one). So it could be the hood is for the shorter type car not the current longer one.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Figured out why this might be a bit short, they used to make a short wheel base version of the Sportster (the ford one). So it could be the hood is for the shorter type car not the current longer one.
That's my guess too.
I waiting to hear back from Terry.

Peter
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:47
Enthusiast

Default My hood is back!

I got my hood back today.
It measures up about 2 inches longer than the last one, so hopefully will fit OK.

If the weather is OK next weekend, I'll have the car out of the garage to continue fitting the windscreen and hood.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:46
Enthusiast

Ok, so I had the day off today and the weather was good enough to have another go at my windscreen and hood fitting.

Here's the progress so far...............

You have to cut two slots for the windscreen supports.

I trail fitted the windscreen and hood before drilling and fixing anything.

I've fixed the back of the hood with the 'lift-the-dot' fittings. I followed Marlins instructions to start in the middle and work out to the edge. If I did this again, I would fix the two outer fasteners and then mark the holes for the other fasteners to get a better staright line across the back.

Fitting the 'lift-the-dot' fastener studs is a right PITA. You can't see what your doing under the rear tub and the seatbelt mounting bar is in the way. Took ages to get the little nuts on the back. I used nylon washers between the stud and the bodywork. These are not supplied in the kit.

My windscreen is now bolted in but still needs the extra bracing brackets fitting under the dashboard.

Next up is to fit the hood roof to the cant rail.........looks tricky to get right!
Old 14th November 2008, 22:54
Enthusiast

looking good Peter
Old 17th November 2008, 07:09
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I can see why fitting demister vents is going to be tricky. Not a lot of room between the screen and the dash.

My idea was to get some bath waste pipe and cut it in half to form an open D shape and then glass it in under the dash. Hot air from the heater could be fed in using a T made from some more tube. You could then simply drill hles in the top of the dash to let the hot air out onto the windscreen.

From experience - if you are going to drive the car with the hood up you definitely need some form of demisting (or a co-operative passenger and lots rag...)

Robin
Old 17th November 2008, 20:17
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I can see why fitting demister vents is going to be tricky. Not a lot of room between the screen and the dash.

My idea was to get some bath waste pipe and cut it in half to form an open D shape and then glass it in under the dash. Hot air from the heater could be fed in using a T made from some more tube. You could then simply drill hles in the top of the dash to let the hot air out onto the windscreen.

From experience - if you are going to drive the car with the hood up you definitely need some form of demisting (or a co-operative passenger and lots rag...)

Robin
Yes, i'm working on a solution.
I have the fan tail ducting that came with my mini heater which will need to be modified to fit the curve of the Marlin scuttle.
I bought some chrome plated mini escutions but the slots are too wide and will look a bit ugly.
I also thought of just holes, but haven't found anything suitable to trim them with. I need something like a circular switch surround.
Some nice polished laser cut stainless strips with slots would do, but don't know anywhere that would make them.
Any ideas?

Peter
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:08

Simon is on a distinguished road

I've also been fitting my hood over the last few weekends:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_...io/3053569686/

Thankfully I did most of the work last weekend when it was a bit warmer which allowed the hood to be a bit more pliable and easier to glue.

I'm glad its now finished as I have my DVLA inspection tomorrow and the forecast doesnt look too good...

Simon
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:03
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I've also been fitting my hood over the last few weekends:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_...io/3053569686/

Thankfully I did most of the work last weekend when it was a bit warmer which allowed the hood to be a bit more pliable and easier to glue.

I'm glad its now finished as I have my DVLA inspection tomorrow and the forecast doesnt look too good...

Simon
mmmm, that hood looks really smart. It looks like it fits much better than the Sportster one. Good luck with the inspection.
Peter
Old 24th November 2008, 09:47

Simon is on a distinguished road

The car passed the inspection no problem this morning (they just checked the chassis and engine no.) and, even better than that, the hood seems remarkably water tight! I even had to take my coat and hat off I was so warm!!

I should get my registration no. within a few days and Birmingham DVLA told me that I wont need an MOT for a year (apparently the SVA test suffices for the first year).

Simon
Old 24th November 2008, 13:05
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I need something like a circular switch surround.
Some nice polished laser cut stainless strips with slots would do, but don't know anywhere that would make them.
Take a look in the latest CBS catalogue - I got it and a flyer with some sale items on it, and there was a slot cut into some polished / chromed plate which hand rounded ends. I've just tried to find it on the online shop, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

Give them a call.
Old 24th November 2008, 20:59
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Take a look in the latest CBS catalogue - I got it and a flyer with some sale items on it, and there was a slot cut into some polished / chromed plate which hand rounded ends. I've just tried to find it on the online shop, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

Give them a call.
Thanks. Does the advert have any dimensions?

Peter
Old 24th November 2008, 21:15
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Yep - here they are:

Aluminium Escutcheon (ALIVENT6)
1mm Thick
320mm X 39mm
Slot 290mm X 10mm

£6.00 each

Its in their 'What's new' addendum to the catalogue, but the latest one isn't on their site yet (The site is dated 8th Oct;The printed version I have os 18th Nov)
Old 17th March 2009, 17:31
Enthusiast

I can't believe it was the middle of November that I started fitting my hood! The weather got very cold so I put it on hold and then got busy with the windscreen wipers/washers and radio installation.
Anyway after a nice warm day I thought i'd take another look this afternoon.

I can't get the front edge of the top to pull far enough forward so I am comming to the conclusion my hood sticks are mounted to high up despite following Marlin's instruction.

But the reason for this post is does anyone know how the front edges of the side panels fit to the windscreen?
Do they just tuck inside or do you use any fixers/velcro??

thanks

Peter