Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 20th May 2007, 19:58
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road
Default Another Engine In

Following a good weekend's work, only slightly interrupted by a friend calling round to take me out in his new Boxster S (which inspired me to hurry up and get this thing finished!) I've got my engine in and started (first time, on the button, sweet)! Video here, thanks to said friend Mike for the filming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZWxUeBij0

I was pretty nervous as I didn't even know for sure the engine was a runner. And then very pleased when it was. This may have come across in the video...
Available from eBay
Old 20th May 2007, 20:12
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

It's a good feeling isn't it?! I bet you were thinking during the extended crank: "oh come on, fire up, come onnnnn!!! woooohoooooo there it goes!!!! "

Is something a "bodge", if it works? I prefer the word "prototype", and there are lots of prototypes on my car!

As for the man with the Boxster S..... a friend of mine bought a brand-spanker recently too, and though it's a very accomplished piece of kit, when it comes to raw speed, it just doesn't cut it. That said, if anyone fancies donating one, I'll welcome it with open arms!
Old 21st May 2007, 17:43
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Well done Rich! it is a very nice feeling and spurs you on to the next step.

When you get a chance upload the type r tuned and let me know how it runs?

Craig
Old 21st May 2007, 20:17
Enthusiast

Craig - mine is running on the tuned map at the moment (i uploaded it for the hell of it), and there's no perceivable difference when idling / moving the car around on the driveway.

Should I read that yours runs a little lumpy on the tuned map?

JOhn.
Old 21st May 2007, 21:49
Enthusiast

Little lumpy yes! slight lag on throttle, but that was when it was running straight of the manifold.

Have not tried it since, maybe tomorrow

Will certainly be setting the v-tec to about 4200 instead of the 5800 factory and 5200 tuned though
Old 21st May 2007, 22:42
Enthusiast

Have you got a lambda sensor connected? When my lambda signal was bad (because the heating element wasn't working), my engine was lumpy and had a stodgy throttle response.
Old 21st May 2007, 22:58
Enthusiast

I'm going to wait until the silencer is on before playing with the engine any more I think, to keep the neighbours happy! I didn't have a Lambda fitted for my test run and the throttle was a little odd at times so I've got that fitted today too.

As far as bodges go - mine consist of gaffer tape over spare ports in the inlet manifold at the minute. I've been looking around for rubber plugs to blank off spare outlets (in usual hoze sizes). Has anyone found an elegant solution for this?

Very much enjoying the progress at the moment, but I'm going to be away on holiday too much in the coming weeks. It seems rude to complain but I want to keep at the car!

Richard
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:38
Enthusiast

No I have no lambda connected yet as although I know how it is connected still not sure about this surpression band.

I must admit though when I changed from closed loop to open loop the throttle response was much improved.

Rich not sure which ports you are talking about on the inlet manifold? I only have 1 blanked off and did it the same way as the elises do it and that is a piece of solid ali tubing pushed in and then the standard honda clip on.

Craig
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:32
Enthusiast

Craig,

I used this type of cable for the lambda signal.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=14&doy=22m5

John.
Old 22nd May 2007, 21:28
Enthusiast

The only part of the manifold I've blanked off, is the feed nearest cylinder 4. I can't think of any others that need blanking.

Rich - I echo your comments about not enough time to build - I'm not going to touch mine now for the best part of a month cos of holidays.
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:34
Enthusiast

I've used very similar cable for the lambda signal, earthing the screen only at one end (which may or may not be a good idea - I suspect it doesn't make much odds on this application).

Craig - I'll probably go with some solid bar in the hoses as you suggest - I just wish someone made rubber caps then I could halve the number of clips! At the moment I have the brake vacuum blanked, and also the thermal air bleed inlet thingy (which I've taken out to mount my dash temperature sender instead). I've also blanked the evap valve, though I guess with no fuel tank pressure sensor this will probably never open anyway.

Been measuring up for my driveshafts tonight. John, I remember in another thread you had 367 mm and 381 mm. Where were you measuring this? I've measured out the full length of the shaft, including splines etc, and I'm getting 440 LHS and 450 RHS. I can't believe our chassis are that different... Are your measures between splines? If so I pretty much agree! Anyone else got dimensions to compare?

Richard
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:47
Enthusiast

Rich, I am sure John has posted this somewhere but can't be arsed to look for it so here it is

I pissed around with the measurements for ages until I spoke to drivelink direct and they said just measure from the start of the outside cv spline to the leading inside edge of the inner cv where the taper starts and the spider will sit in the middle during normal ride height, this is basically what John has done and you will get roughly the same measurement.

Have you used that cable for the lambda on all wires or only on the pho2s wire?
Old 23rd May 2007, 18:19
Enthusiast

Thanks for that - all makes sense now on the dimensions!

Yes, I've just used shielded cable for the PH02S line (as do Honda, in my loom at least). I don't think it can be too crucial as the secondary 02 loom has about 0.5m of unshielded run to it anyway.

Richard