Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 26th March 2012, 19:17

davecymru is on a distinguished road
Default Wanted: 3.27:1 Vitesse/GT6 diff

Before i start ringing around all of the usual suspects, i don't suppose anyone on here would happen to have a Vitesse mk2/GT6 mk2 3.27:1 ratio diff that they want to get rid off?

If so, please let me know.

Dave
Available from eBay
Old 27th March 2012, 14:16

Ignore..... All sorted.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:48

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Have you fitted your 3.27:1 diff yet Dave?

If so, has it made much difference to your car?

Only I just bought one for mine, 'twas a bit pricey I fear but I liked the idea of the 21mph/1000rpm in top gear (on 175/70/14's) without going to the considerable expense and technical inconvenience of converting to an overdrive gearbox.

Having said that, I might just convert to overdrive as well eventually anyway to give 26mph/1000rpm and a theoretical top speed of 156mph.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:26

ATM i've got a 4.11:1 in there as a legacy of my donor originally being a Herald 13/60 that was converted to a Vitesse.
After a lot of reading and even more time talking to Triumph spares places and dismantlers, i ended up going for a 3.63:1 diff for the time being as everyone kept telling me that the 3.27:1 diffs are "fragile".

I'm not doing any changes until after this weekend as i know that it's all working atm and i want to take it to the Bristol Classic Car Show, then my thinking is that I'll clean and recondition the 3.63 and put that in and see what (if any difference) it makes.

Depending on how that goes, i may still pick up a 3.27 to have a play with, but knowing that i can drop back to the 3.63 if anything does goes bang.

Here's an interesting link if you're thinking of having a tinker with diff/gearbox/wheel size: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

It'll also be useful for those of us who simply change their wheel size!
Old 16th April 2012, 09:54

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That's a handy tool Dave.

It shows that I'll get 21.5mph/1000rpm with the 3.27 final drive giving just under 2800rpm on the clock while cruising at 60mph, compared with just over 3300rpm with the Vitesse 3.89:1 diff.

Your 3.63 diff should drop the revs by just over 400rpm at 60mph compared to the herald diff which should make a noticeable difference.

I'd read that the GT6 diff was considered fragile too but I figured the stresses will be much less due to the Spyder being so much lighter. I'll keep the diff oil topped up and fresh too which most people wouldn't have bothered with in the 60's and 70's, because they were too busy freaking out.