Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 26th April 2012, 19:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Sportster to be featured in TKC

Marlin Sportster to be featured in Totalkitcar magazine in May.

It was Steve Hole's original review that got me switched on the Sportster....

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/re..._Sportster.pdf

...so it will be interesting to read his latest test drive.
Available from eBay
Old 26th April 2012, 22:25
Enthusiast

Is it my imagination or are the headlights on this car mounted at an angle? (leaning inwards?)

And is that an anti-roll bar at the front??
Old 27th April 2012, 12:09

morris is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter, yes it is an ARB. When I first went down to order my chassis they had this one up on the lift in a half built state. I noticed the ARB then and both Mark and Kevin said the customer had insisted it was retained but that neither of then thought it actually improved things and just added complexity. With 300lb springs on the front and 400 on the back with the new ones, I don't thing excess roll will be something I'll be worrying about either, more like wishing for
Old 28th April 2012, 16:10

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

My copy of TKC dropped on the mat this morning but it does not have that picture on it, they have changed it to the MR2 kits wing mirror.

But the reporter seemed more interested in the new design roof than the car.

Mark has used a complete rear end of the BMW E39 assembly that bolts straight on to the Sportster chassis, looks good.
Old 28th April 2012, 20:04
Enthusiast

Hi Ian,
thanks for clarifying it was a specific customer requirement. Mark is always insistent that an ARB isn't required on a Sportster so I was surprised to see one in this picture.

Hi Dennis,
looks like you have a special edition. On their website it says.....
"Our forthcoming MAY/JUNE issue of tkc mag, is a bit special for us as we have not one but TWO different front covers for this one. There’s the standard issue for the shops with a lovely Marlin Sportster gracing the front cover, while the other is for subscribers ONLY and wears the MR2 Kits GTF, on its cover, or rather the door mirror of same and as such it’s a limited edition collectors’ item, although the content of both is identical."

Very odd?

I noticed that Marlin's latest ads say the kit is now based on an e39 model.
And I bet Terry will be keen to supply you a new windscreen and hood!

Was Steve Hole impressed with the handling?
Old 29th April 2012, 08:25

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Apparently Steve Hole has driven Sportsters before and he loved them then, so was not surprised to find the handling was good and I quote:-

"When it came to my driving experience with this car it doesn't really need dwelling on to be honest. I mean, BMW mechanicals and Mark Matthews ingenuity and skill combine to give a superb driving machine and a really good sportscar that had a restorative effect on my psyche and reminded me why I rated the Marlin marque so highly in the first place. Sure the 360bhp on tap gives electrifying performance but there's more to this car than that"

Yes, I thought about what Terry might say to me as well regarding the new hood and screen, I will let you know.

Last edited by denniswpearce; 29th April 2012 at 08:27.. Reason: punctuation correction
Old 29th April 2012, 09:47
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
Apparently Steve Hole has driven Sportsters before and he loved them then, so was not surprised to find the handling was good and I quote:-

"When it came to my driving experience with this car it doesn't really need dwelling on to be honest. I mean, BMW mechanicals and Mark Matthews ingenuity and skill combine to give a superb driving machine and a really good sportscar that had a restorative effect on my psyche and reminded me why I rated the Marlin marque so highly in the first place. Sure the 360bhp on tap gives electrifying performance but there's more to this car than that"

Yes, I thought about what Terry might say to me as well regarding the new hood and screen, I will let you know.
360bhp, and no brakes..................
Old 29th April 2012, 09:50
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
360bhp, and no brakes..................
Perhaps that's what he meant by "but there's more to this car than that"