Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th May 2012, 22:03

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default Scuttle and 'A' Panels

I've scratched my head over this one for a while now.

Maybe I've been blessed with paws rather than hands and I've got the wrong selection of tools in my toolbox but how do you locate and tighten the nut on the front mounting stud for the scuttle and 'A' panel.

I note the strategically placed indicator repeaters and guess a long socket through the opening for those would do the job but if I don't want the repeaters there, has anyone found an alternative way of getting at it.

Nigel
Available from eBay
Old 9th May 2012, 08:13
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Nigel
If I recall correctly, the easiest procedure for those nuts is as follows:

1. Get into a really uncomfortable position so that your fingers can just touch the top of the bolt. This will have to be done by feel alone as you have no hope of actually seeing what you are doing.

2. Carefully balance the nut between your fingers and locate it on the tip of the bolt.

3. Swear when it falls out of your fingers into the narrow groove. Retrieve it with some difficulty.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for some time.

5. Eventually you will be able to thread the nut onto the bolt by hand. If using a nyloc, you won't get it very far.

6. Swear as you realise you forgot to put the washer on first. Undo and then repeat steps 1 to 5.

7. Again by feel alone, locate the correct size spanner onto the nut. This may take anywhere between several and many attempts.

8. Move the spanner by a few mm within the groove to tighten the bolt an infinitesimal amount.

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until you are losing the will to live.

10. Jobs a good un.

11. Repeat for the other side.

Hope this helps
Tim
Old 9th May 2012, 08:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I used a 1/4" socket set through the side repeater hole or a ratchet spanner under the dashboard.
If you're buying ratchet spanners make sure you get good quality ones with small heads and a large number of ratchet teeth.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:27
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I used a 1/4" socket set through the side repeater hole or a ratchet spanner under the dashboard.
If you're buying ratchet spanners make sure you get good quality ones with small heads and a large number of ratchet teeth.
Peter

Do you recommend any particular make, as I have been considering getting 8, 10,13, and 17mm

Are the better Halfords ones any good?
Mike
Old 9th May 2012, 11:03

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Hi Nigel
If I recall correctly, the easiest procedure for those nuts is as follows:

1. Get into a really uncomfortable position so that your fingers can just touch the top of the bolt. This will have to be done by feel alone as you have no hope of actually seeing what you are doing.

2. Carefully balance the nut between your fingers and locate it on the tip of the bolt.

3. Swear when it falls out of your fingers into the narrow groove. Retrieve it with some difficulty.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for some time.

5. Eventually you will be able to thread the nut onto the bolt by hand. If using a nyloc, you won't get it very far.

6. Swear as you realise you forgot to put the washer on first. Undo and then repeat steps 1 to 5.

7. Again by feel alone, locate the correct size spanner onto the nut. This may take anywhere between several and many attempts.

8. Move the spanner by a few mm within the groove to tighten the bolt an infinitesimal amount.

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until you are losing the will to live.

10. Jobs a good un.

11. Repeat for the other side.

Hope this helps
Tim
Cheers Tim.

That's a heart felt response if ever I've heard one.......................!!

You've obviously been there too and your approach sounds very familiar to, and equally frustrating as, mine. But you missed the bit about the grazed knuckles and the fibreglass splinters from the rough underside of the scuttle!! The only comfort I can draw is that we all suffer similarily.

I'll keep on trying. I may end up with some unwanted holes for some unwanted repeaters in an unwanted location but other than a ratchet ring spanner with a very fine ratchet I can't think of another solution. And that assumes you've managed to get the nut (don't forget the washer) on the stud in the first place!!

Nigel
Old 9th May 2012, 11:42
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Word of advice - don't use nylocs! They're fine on the rear where you can get to the studs, but next to impossible at the front.

Spring washer / shake proof washer + plain nut is far easier, as you can spin it down the stud with your fingers and only worry about how difficult it is to get a tool in there once you need those last few turns to tighten up.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter

Do you recommend any particular make, as I have been considering getting 8, 10,13, and 17mm

Mike
Hi Mike,
I bought mine some years ago in Costco and they are marked "Mastergrip". I suspect they are made in the USA. They have been invaluable during my build and I would recommend them if you can find them. Mine are fixed head.
I've not used any of the Halfords ratchet spanners but I have some of their Professional range of ordinary spanners and they are very nice quality.

...peter
Old 20th May 2012, 20:04
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Mike
They have a good deal on at the mo...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165572