Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th May 2012, 19:22

tr7mgb is on a distinguished road
Default Sizes & Practicality

Gents

I've been reading the threads for a few weeks now and would like to say how impressed i am with the builds i have read to date. I am now completly sucked into the process and it's now a matter of time and money away.

I am in the process now of deciding which donor and therefore which Sammio, although the Cordite may be the favourite at the moment.

as my car is restricted by garage space left once the wife's toys (washing machines) have taken up space, i wondered if anyone can give me the length and width of the Spyder and Cordite? feet and inches please!!!

as i am 6 foot 2, what is the practicality of climbing into the spyder (no doors) against the Cordite (appreciate that no body has finished one yet though).

finally, i have been following the threads regarding seats, just wondered if anyone has tried a TR7 seat, which have a low seat base height, narrow width and comfortable.
Available from eBay
Old 15th May 2012, 19:39

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7mgb View Post
Gents
as my car is restricted by garage space left once the wife's toys (washing machines) have taken up space, i wondered if anyone can give me the length and width of the Spyder and Cordite? feet and inches please!!!
Well timed that man, i've just got back from a run to test my adjusted carbs and the car is on the drive before i tuck it away for the night so i can run a tape along it for you....
My tape only does new money and the dimensions (taken on my own so these are "rough") came out as 374x160, which running it through an old money translator seems to be about, 12ft3" x 5ft3" VERY roughly!
Does that about right to everyone or have the rich exhaust fumes made me mis-read something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7mgb View Post
as i am 6 foot 2, what is the practicality of climbing into the spyder (no doors) against the Cordite (appreciate that no body has finished one yet though).
You're the same height as me then, so you'll have no problems at all getting in to or out of the Spyder!
I've not played in a Cordite so i can't talk for the owners with these new fangled _door_ thingies!
Old 15th May 2012, 20:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Doors? Pah, I spit on your doors. Well, actually I wouldn't as that would be rather impolite of me.

I'm 5'11" and about eleven and a half stone. Erm, make that thirteen. OK, fourteen stone, and I fit in the Spyder no problem. Phil J is a fair bit taller than me and significantly broader across the shoulders and he fits in his too. As for climbing over the side to get in, having had an MX5 I'd say the Spyder with no doors is easier to get into than an MX5 with the roof up.

I quite like the look of the Cordite but that's probably because it looks like the original Spyder. Plus, if I was going to use a Spitfire donor I'd be wanting to retro fit a straight six engine so I'd probably go with a Vitesse instead. Gary will do doors on a Spyder for a couple of hundred pounds extra btw, so you pays your money you takes your choice.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:38

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

G46 with doors. Loads of room, just not in your garage perhaps. ;-)
Old 15th May 2012, 22:52

tr7mgb is on a distinguished road

thanks chaps

garage is not too bad, i've already nut and bolt restored an MGB in it and a mint TR7 currently sits in it. I just like to be able to get in or out of the car without climbing over the boot!!!
Old 16th May 2012, 06:40

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

A friend had to fit monkey bars to the ceiling of his garage and swing hand over hand to get out after buying an old XJS that only just fitted
Old 16th May 2012, 06:56

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
A friend had to fit monkey bars to the ceiling of his garage and swing hand over hand to get out after buying an old XJS that only just fitted
Ahhhhh!
THATS how I can fit a Countach in my garage although the scissor doors may make things.... interesting!

Who hoo I can start saving up for one again and I've just put the first £3 in the jar to kick me off. Lambo ownership here I come. Slowly..
Old 16th May 2012, 07:52

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Ahhhhh!
THATS how I can fit a Countach in my garage although the scissor doors may make things.... interesting!

Who hoo I can start saving up for one again and I've just put the first £3 in the jar to kick me off. Lambo ownership here I come. Slowly..
Wouldn't the Countach be a bit, well, tame after a Spyder?

And back to the original question, if you've got a small garage what better car to put in it than one with no doors to damage against the side walls when you get in and out?